Thursday 19 May 2011

Balance

I was thinking today about Science and God. I am constantly thinking about both. I want to be able to understand both and, at the same time, understand the reason why people in general do not consider both subjects equally important to our evolution as moral human beings.
I went to a Science event the other day. It was very interesting, but I could observe certain behaviours that, quite frankly, disappointed me a bit. Sometimes, I have the impression that scientists, in general, seem to think that, by knowing more about Science, they are better human beings than the ones who don't. It also made me think that many religious leaders might think that, by believing in God and knowing more about Him, they are better human beings than the ones who don't. This shows us how we are far away from being perfect. Where is the balance to be found in human nature?
Scientists seem to often regard people who believe in God or are religious as stupid, uneducated, weak minded or delusional. They don't say it as being what they think, because this wouldn't be accepted by society, and they might be regarded as prejudists. In the Academic World, being considered prejudist is synonym of ignorance, as far as I am concerned, and no scientist would like to be seen as such, I am sure. So, instead of saying it as they think, they make jokes, because this is accepted by society. That was the disappointing bit for me. If scientists are so certain that Science alone is the only way to get answers from, why do they feel the need to humiliate religious people and their faith in the form of jokes? Not direct jokes, not to any particular faith or particular person, but in general. Is it to masquerade their despise for religion and make it sound very plausible and funny? This event wasn't offensive to me at all, because I didn't feel the need to be offended by it (it was rather interesting, actually, to observe this behaviour that I didn't expect, being disclosed by scientists), but gave me an insight to something I was rather surprised to find.
I couldn't help it but compare this Science event to the Divaldo Franco's lecture that I've been to, days before, which was essentially religious. Divaldo never attacked Science, quite the opposite, he used of Scientific information in his lecture many times. He never made fun of Science, on the contrary, he respected Science. I just wonder why Scientists could not do the same in regards to religious matters...
To be honest, I don't know why scientists need to mention religion at all in their events...isn't religion a delusion in their point of view? So why was it used as a way of making some of their points in this event? Things like "the world will not end, morons" was used in the event, implying that certain religious people who believe in the end of the world are morons; and a song played backwards mentioning Satan (which can be a sacrilege for many religious people) was part of this event (at this part, I must confess that I was imagining how truly shocked a religious fanatic would be by listening to something that mentioned Satan and 666!). I know that those scientists were trying to make a point by using these methods, but my question is: why did they use methods that could be associated to religion to make their point? Not only to make their point, but also to ridicule religion itself. I noticed all of this because I am a spiritual person, and I am also into Science (believe me, it is not that uncommon!), but these points might have been missed (intentionally or not) by the majority of people there. I didn't go to a Science event to hear scientists making fun of religion (even if it was indirectly), I went there to listen to them talk about Science. As much as I didn't go to Divaldo Franco's lecture to listen to something negative about Science, like (this is a hypothetical situation!!) if he told us to not want to know more about Science because it's not from God (which he didn't do at all, let's make it very clear!)
There is a young British scientist who I admire for making Physics an interesting and understandable subject for the mass. I think that what he is doing is brilliant. His name is Brian Cox. His contribution in this event was the best, in my point of view. He mentioned something that really caught my attention. He explained something and showed us a formula. The formula had a H in it, which is for helium, if I remember well, but the helium hasn't been discovered yet to be part of that formula. I understood that the helium was thought to be part of that equation, but it hasn't been proved by Science yet, although they are almost sure that they will be able to prove it soon. At that point I thought: Why can Science accept the possibility that they might be wrong about an element being part of a formula, but say no to the possibility that they might be wrong about the existence of God? After all, they were not able to prove that this element is part of that equation yet, as much as they are not able to prove, scientifically, that God does or does not exist...interesting, isn't it? I have a friend (a dear one) called Raul Teixeira who is, at the same time, a religious person and lecturer, a medium, a Physicist and a Professor who teaches Physics in a Federal University in Brazil. Isn't it an example of balance?
I think that we all need to find balance in life to achieve best results in everything, and it's not something easily done. Being an extremely intelligent scientist doesn't make you an example of a good hearted human being with great morals, as much as being a religious person doesn't make you stupid, weak minded, delusional or uneducated. Being a religious person doesn't make you kinder or better in anyway than an atheist either! It's not how much you know about Science or how much you believe in God that makes you better than anyone. Let's ponder about what the thought of being better than others, for whatever reason, does instead!!!

Nobody ever doubted that Beethoven was still a brilliant composer and musician even after he became completely deaf. Although he didn't have his hearing, which it's essential for a musician, nobody ever thought that his works were not his, because he couldn't hear, or he wasn't as much of a genius after his hearing loss. He was a genius while he could hear and he continued being a genius after losing his hearing. It shows me that we don't need only our material senses to be able to accomplish goals. We also need our soul to continue to accomplish them, because only a soul keeps what is truly ours...
This is my favorite song of his composition. One day, I will be playing it myself ;) 

Take care!

Mrs. P 

               

No comments:

Post a Comment