Sunday 20 March 2011

Ghandi's non-violence speech

Today I was thinking about what is going on in Libya. Why can't that man just quit? What makes him think that he is so important to people that he can't quit or doesn't want to? Why is the world divided between Western and Arab right now? Everybody is the same, so what is with the separation? I don't like that!
I was also thinking that, when I die, I just want people to remember me as a person like everybody else independently of my nationality, my culture and my beliefs. I just want people to pray for me and forgive my mistakes when it's my time to go...
Yes, culture is part of our identity, but culture is not the most important thing about us, it doesn't define who we are as a whole, especially if cultural differences are used to separate and divide people in any way. I'm proud, at the moment, that Brazil decided to not participate in this military intervention in Libya. I'm not sure what should be done, but violence shouldn't be the right answer to anything. People in Japan are struggling because of natural disasters and money seems to be in the process of being wasted in this military no- fly zone intervention. Is it really sensible?
We need to pray...a lot!! Maybe we just need another Gandhi to help us see that non-violence also gets results. Maybe, if there was another leader like him in Libya, people there would be able to fight Gaddafi without international help. We need to fight our own battles, but it doesn't need to be with violence. I just pray that God helps them and us to understand that a new era is coming and that we should start changing ourselves first inside...not outside us. It makes me feel hopeless to not be able to do anything directly for them, but I believe that faith can do wonders. Where is our faith? If not in God, why not in humanity at least? Men deserve our faith as well. Humanity and individuals can change if they want to. Nothing can express my thoughts better, at this present moment in time, than the passage from the Bible when a men answered Jesus saying: "I believe, help my unbelief" (Mark, 9:24).

I decided to put a video that is part of the film about the life of Gandhi here today (below). I so respect this man! It's a good time to remember him, I think! Hope you see his point...I sure do.

 Mrs. P





 






No comments:

Post a Comment